Lecture 1: (June 27 th ) Introduction
Lecture 2: (June 28 th ) Bug Detection in Multi-Threaded Software
Lecture 3: (June 29 th ) Failure Handling in Multi-Threaded Software
Lecture 4: (June 30 th ) Bug Fixing, Performance Bug Detection
Lecture 5: (July 1st) Handling Performance Bugs, Tackling Bugs in Distributed Systems
Lecture 1: (June 27
(1) An overview of software reliability and reliability research
(2) Background for multi-threaded software systems
(3) An overview of common software bugs
“ARIANE 5 Flight 501 Failure: Report by the Inquiry Board “,
Jacques-Louis Lions, Lennart Lebeck, Jean-Luc Fauquembergue, Gilles Kahn, Wolfgang Kubbat, Stefan Levedag, Leonardo Mazzini, Didier Merle Thomson,
European Space Agency Report, Paris, July 1996.
Lecture 2: (June 28
) Bug Detection & Fixing in Multi-Threaded Software
(1) Detecting Concurrency Bugs in Multi-Threaded Software
(2) Fixing Concurrency Bugs in Multi-Threaded Software
AVIO: detecting atomicity violations via access interleaving invariants
”, Shan Lu, Joseph Tucek, Feng Qin, Yuanyuan Zhou
Proceedings of the 12th international conference on Architectural support for programming languages and operating systems (ASPLOS), 2006
“ConSeq: detecting concurrency bugs through sequential errors”,
Wei Zhang, Junghee Lim, Ramya Olichandran, Joel Scherpelz, Guoliang Jin, Shan Lu, Thomas Reps.
Proceedings of the sixteenth international conference on Architectural support for programming languages and operating systems (ASPLOS), 2011
“Automated Concurrency-Bug Fixing”,
Guoliang Jin, Wei Zhang, Dongdong Deng, Ben Liblit, and Shan Lu.
Proceedings of 10th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), 2012.
Lecture 3: (June 29
) Failure Handling in Multi-Threaded Software
(1) Preventing & Recovering Concurrency Bug Failures in Multi-Threaded Software
(2) Diagnosing Concurrency Bug Failures in Multi-Threaded Software
Lecture 4: (June 30
) Tackling Performance & Energy Bugs
(1).Understanding real-world performance bugs
(2). Detecting, diagnosing, and fixing performance bugs
(3). Understanding and handling energy bugs
Lecture 5: (July 1st) Tackling Bugs in Distributed Systems
(1) Background about distributed systems
(2) Background about failure-tolerance in distributed systems
(3) Understanding bugs in distributed systems
(4) Detecting bugs in distributed systems
“What Bugs Live in the Cloud? A Study of 3000+ Issues in Cloud Systems”, Haryadi S.
Gunawi, Mingzhe Hao, Tanakorn Leesatapornwongsa, Tiratat Patana-anake, Thanh Do, Jeffry Adityama, Kurnia J. Eliazar, Agung Laksono, Jeffrey F.
Lukman, Vincentius Martin, Anang D. Satria.
Proceedings of the 5th ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing (SoCC), 2014